For generations this humble piece of equipment has been the subject of many a horror story regarding pain,discomfort,numbness etc etc. AND RIGHTLY SO!
Most seats from the last 100 years have had little real thought go into design & how they interact with the human body. They have been the victims of tradition & fashion with the result being generations of people being put off cycling by having a sore butt.
Thankfully things have improved in the last few years. Now before you rejoice & rush off to buy any old modern seat BEWARE there are still plenty of unsuitable seats out there. CONFUSED? You don’t have to be!
At Kaimai Cycles we have the training & experience to find you the correct seat for your needs. Rex is one of only 5 certified Body Geometry Fit bike fitters in Australasia which is the highest qualification in the bike fitting industry.
He has measured hundreds of Ischial Tuberosities (sit bones) & listened to hours of complaints about previous seats. He has also sold hundreds of seats to satisfied customers who have rediscovered the joy that riding a bike can bring.
WE LISTEN,WE MEASURE, WE TALK, WE RECOMMEND & WE GIVE PEACE OF MIND!
At Kaimai Cycles we carry a huge range of seats. Big ones,small ones. Soft ones & firm ones, luckily there is a range of seats that suit 99% of riders.
That range is produced by SPECIALIZED & they are world leaders in the development of ergonomically designed & scientifically tested products for cyclists.
All SPECIALIZED seats that carry the Body Geometry logo have been tested to allow a minimum of 50% blood flow to the Male Genetaillia when sized correctly.
This is considered to be the minimum safe blood flow for Male cyclists. How many other brands can claim this?
We carry the full range of SPECIALIZED seats & will always try to have every model in store available.
SPECIALIZED seats have a 30 day exchange policy which gives you peace of mind that you are not stuck with a seat which is not quite right. Everyone is different & sometimes we do need to try another seat to get it just right.
At Kaimai Cycles we carry over 50 test seats. These are for you to try for a few rides. This is a great way to see if a particular seat suits you & involves less initial pain for your wallet.
BENEFITS OF THE CORRECT SEAT
- COMFORT : A no brainier really
- POSTURE : The correct seat will help relax Pelvis,lower back & shoulders etc
- ENDURANCE : More comfort etc means you can train longer & harder=FITTER
- REDUCE INJURY : Combined with Body Geometry Fit the correct seat will align the body correctly & help prevent injury to knees,feet etc
- POWER: It’s proven & we see it regularly that combined with Body Geometry Fit the correct seat will increase power & it will continue to increase as the body settles into the correct position.
WOULD YOU BUY A PAIR OF SHOES 2 SIZES TOO SMALL?
Of course not! So why do so many people use a seat far too narrow for them?
Pear group pressure?
It came with the bike?
All of the above?
ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS
- After an hour or so on your current seat do you start to fidget & change position?
- When you climb a hill out of the seat & go to sit down it’s not comfortable & you have to shuffle again?
- Do things sting in the shower after a long ride?
- Saddle sores etc are a normal part of cycling ?
- It’s cycling,it’s not supposed to that comfortable?
- Everyone else must be the same?
IT DOSENT HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!
All of the above used to be me & hundreds of our customers! I used to think that putting up with these things was normal. The thought of riding a wider seat was for sissies & why would I need one of those! I even thought that while we were selling wider options!
All of my opinions & attitude toward seats & bike fitting changed when I attended my first Body Geometry Fit class. Suddenly things made sense as to why & how we would change something to benefit the rider & I had finally found a bike fitting method that actually worked & could be repeated on any rider whether professional or novice.